Pages

TRX Sports Medicine Qualification

I recently attended the TRX Certified Sports Medicine class in San Francisco and was amazed at the different types of people that were taking the class with me as well. There were 23 people who attended the class from all over the world. There were people from Canada, Alaska, New York, Australia, Southern California and Northern California. I was one of the 3 locals from the bay area that attended. My trainer was Sydney and she is local Therapist from San Francisco and like my trainer before she is knowledgeable and passionate about what she does. I have to say that I was quite intimidated by the people around me -- almost 10 senior physical therapists, 10 orthopedic doctors and surgeons, and 2 personal trainers.




By becoming certified I am able to prescribe exercises that I believe will benefit individual clients of various fitness levels from athletes to older adults. I am able to help treat people with who are limited due to their injuries or joint pain and treat athletes who have been injured or who want to continue maintenance exercises to prevent further injuries. Although I was intimidated by all the professionals with multiple degrees and years of experience in their field, I found myself confident in my knowledge, skills, and abilities of the TRX suspension trainer. Since finding that I want to become a physical therapist I mainly wanted to sit back and watch how these doctors used the suspension trainers, communicated about the suspension trainers, and more importantly how they felt about various exercises while using the trainers. You can imagine 19 year old me in a room full of doctors-- very excited and anxious! Actually, instead of sitting back and observing, I was doing most of the talking. The majority of the course was done communicating in groups and shared a lot of knowledge with others, showed them tips and tricks about the suspension trainers such as ‘cheat moves’, cueing tools, and showing exercises that can be modified or progressed.



After taking this class I have become even more excited to embark on this new chapter in my life. I will be attending Eastern Michigan University this winter taking courses: Physiology, Anatomy and Intro to Athletic Training. After three years of the program I plan to graduate with a B.S in Athletic Training and move back to California to pursue a doctorates in PT while working with a high school, college or professional sports team.



1 comment:

  1. Primary duties for volunteers are: athletic training room maintenance, assist in staff and students techs in injury treatment/management, assist employed athletic training technicians in practice set up/breakdown and occasional practice coverage.this was a good article

    ReplyDelete